Hello everyone!!!! I am so sorry to have gone off the blog for so long. It was never my intention to let so much time go by. I have found it difficult to find the time to blog with all the summer activities. But I’m here today to catch you up. I really have missed blogging and connecting with other bloggers and I hope you are still there?
Balance in life is very important to me. I’ll be honest, it hasn’t been easy this summer to find the right amount of time between work, personal, home and creative time. I have managed to find time to be creative but I have really been working on getting in shape and training for a half marathon. I’ve done half marathons before but I wanted to be in better shape. Balance for me comes when I find a routine. I wish I could be one of those people who can fly by the seat of their pants, but that’s not me. One way to get into better shape is for physical activity to become a routine, so I have been focusing on making it part of my morning routine. This has led to less anxiety and stress and little by little I am starting to feel the balance returning. It’s not to say I don’t have my days, but I am feeling better and my passion for creativity is even stronger. I want to make my creative time and blog just as much a routine as my training.
To catch up on the creative side, let’s go back to Mother’s Day. I think that is where I last left off? Like most of the cards I make, I always keep the person in mind that I am creating the card for. Mother’s Day was no exception. My mom loves birds, the color blue and pretty feminine touches. Here is the card I created for her. This card features stamping designs on both scrapbook paper and vellum. The part of the card making process that takes me the longest is the overall design of the card. I will lay out papers, colors, stamps and embellishments until an idea starts to form in my mind. The following pictures are a glimpse into my creative process.
When I stamped the feather image on the music scrapbook paper I first used Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black. I next stamped the same image without re-inking my stamp and overlaying it at a different angle. This produced a worn stamped look that I then colored in by re-inking the feather stamp with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Evergreen Bough and placing directly over top of my already stamped image.
My husband’s mom and I both love pink and girlie and so I opted for a more modern looking card for her. I love using sequins in shaker cards but for this design I wanted to use them to add some sparkle. I also found this wonderful bag of confetti at Michaels, it has an assortment of shapes and themes in it, from Christmas angels to baby bottles. In the bag were these iridescent butterflies. The foil material that the shapes are cut from made it easy to fold the wings to add movement before gluing them to the card.
It was fun to make two cards that had a completely different look and feel. As I put together this post I am excited to say I have more cards coming up to share. Thank you for staying with me and thank you for your patience while I figure out how to breathe create relax. mj
- Cricut Expressions 2 (sorry no direct link)
- Sizzix Vagabond
- 5 3/4 White Note Cards with Envelopes by The Paper Studio
- 8 1/2 x 11 Vellum Paper in Clear by The Paper Studio
- 12 x 12 Kraft Paper and Scrapbook Paper (sorry no direct link)
- 8 1/2 x 11 Recollections Essentials Cardstock Paper
- My Minds Eye, The Station, 6 x 6 Paper Pad (sorry no direct link)
- Cricut Phrases Cartridge
- Ranger Non-Stick Craft Sheet
- Ranger Heat it Craft Tool
- Ranger Mini Blending Tool
- Small Corner Rounder by The Paper Studio
- Large Stitched Square Stackables die cuts by Lawn Fawn
- Making Memories Tool Kit (sorry no direct link)
- Tim Holtz, Stampers Anonymous Cling Mount Set in Bird Feather CMS 180
- 4 x 6 Clear Mounting Block with Gridlines by The Paper Studio
- Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black
- Tim Holtz Distress Inks and Markers by Ranger (featured Evergreen Bough, Salty Ocean and Vintage Photo)
- Ranger Glossy Accents
- Sticky Doos White Adhesive Foam Squares by The Paper Studio
- Black Round Brads by The Paper Studio
- 5mm Bubblegum Round Cup Sequins by Tree House Studio
- Creatology Assorted Sequins & Spangles
- Recollections Valentine Twine (sorry no direct link)
- K&Company Brenda Walton Flora & Fauna Vellum Adhesive Borders
- Me & My BIG Ideas “I Love You Mom” Embellishments